Unwind (Unwind Dystology #1)

Unwind

Connor, Risa, and Lev are running for their lives.
The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.

Author: Neal Shusterman

Neal Shusterman is the New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty award-winning books for children, teens, and adults, including The Unwind Dystology, The Skinjacker trilogy, Downsiders, and The Schwa Was Here, which won the Boston Globe-Horn Book Award for fiction. He also writes screenplays for motion pictures and television shows. The father of four children, Neal lives in California. Visit him at Storyman.com and Facebook.com/NealShusterman.

Reviews:
"Poignant, compelling, and ultimately terrifying, this book will enjoy popularity with a wide range of readers."
"--VOYA, 4Q4P
"Nail-biting, character-driven thriller."
--The Horn Book
"The power of the novel lies in what it doesn't do: come down explicitly on one side or the other."
--The New York Times Book Review

Costumer Review:
WARNING: There is a lot of gushing ahead. I mean it, it's almost sickening. You have been warned. --- Unwind is one of those books you can't seem to put down because whenever you finally do, all you end up doing is thinking about the book. It's well-written, addictive, intriguing... and awesome.

The pacing is brilliant. I was hooked from the beginning, which hasn't happened in a while. I also felt like I connected with the characters on a more personal level since it's written in first person narrative. Now that I've read it, I can't imagine the book being written any other way. It just worked. Every character added to the story and gently moves the plot along. I think when you get even the most insignificant characters right, you're on the right track.

By far the best thing I liked about this book was the character development. When you get to the end there's a noticeable change in their perspectives. I felt like they actually grew up in the book and it was really refreshing to read. Oh, did I mention the writing was excellent? I mean, it's clear that it's written for a younger audience, but it's not so simple that YA readers won't enjoy it. There's a particular chapter that was very emotional for me. Not that I shed tears or anything, but the horror of what was going on affected me as a reader. I don't think the book would have been the same without it, and from the other reviews I've read, it affected others as well.

And the ending didn't disappoint! A lot was wrapped up nicely but it definitely left you wanting to know more. I don't know if that's because you love the characters so much or because you're so wrapped up in the plot you can't help but want to know what'll happen next. Hopefully the sequel is just as brilliant!

P.S. I dare you not to like this book. Just do it. You won't.
--Sarai (from Goodreads)